Windows update brings various new features to Windows. Alongside new features and bug fixes, you may get certain error messages when updating your Windows.
Error encountered while updating windows is a common one, and you might encounter it frequently. You may get Error 0x80080008 when updating Windows 10 version 1903.
This is an update error that you may get when updating Windows. If you are facing Windows 10 version 1903 error 0x80080008, then this article will surely help you with that.
In this article, we will be discussing the fix for Windows 10 version 1903 error 0x80080008.
Troubleshooting Windows 10 version 1903 error 0x80080008
Given below are the steps to fix Windows 10 version 1903 error ox80080008:
Disable The Antivirus
The antivirus program may interrupt with Windows update. If you are getting error 0x80080008 while updating Windows 10 version 1903 then the Antivirus program might be causing the error.
This most probably occurs if you are using a third-party antivirus program. You should try disabling the antivirus program you are using, or uninstall it for a given time.
It would be recommended for you to remove the antivirus program temporarily while you are updating your Windows.
Even if you have uninstalled the antivirus program you are getting the error 0x80080008, then it is recommended that you perform the SFC scan. Follow the steps given below to perform the SFC scan-
- Open the start menu and then search for the command prompt.
- Right-click on the command prompt and click on run as administrator. Enter the command sfc /scanow in the command prompt and hit Enter.
This will scan for corrupted files on your system and will fix them.
If the SFC scan didn’t do the work for you then you can perform the DISM scan. To perform the DISM scan, follow the steps given below-
- In the start menu, search for the command prompt, right-click on it and click on run as administrator.
- In the command prompt, type in the command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit Enter.
This will solve any error you face. Running DISM can most probably fix Windows 10 version 1903 error 0x80080008.
Restart Windows Update Component
You might encounter this error due to some Windows update components. If you face this problem, then you can most probably try restarting Windows Update components.
To restart Windows update components, follow the steps given below-
- Open the start menu by pressing the Windows key.
- In the start menu, search for the command prompt. Right-click on it, and then click on run as administrator.
- In the command prompt, run the following commands-
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
After you have run these commands, your problem should most probably be solved. This will restart all the Windows update components, and you will no longer face Windows 10 version 1903 error 0x80080008.
Download The Update Manually
You can try downloading the update manually and then try updating it. To download and install the update manually, follow the steps given below-
- Head to the Windows Update section, and find then look out for the KB number. You will find this when you check for updates. KB number will be written in bracket followed by some number. It will be in the following format- (KB0000000).
- Now head to the Microsoft Update Catalog. You can visit the update catalog by clicking here.
- You will have to enter the KB number that you noted, in the search area on the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- You will see all the updates you search for, and right beside them, there will be a download option.
- You can download the update by clicking on the download button right beside the update.
- The results will show you details like title, product, version, classification, size, and last updated so that you can ensure you are downloading the right file.
- Once you have download the update file, you can run the setup as you do for other programs. Double click the file to run it, and it will be installed.
By doing so, you will be able to update your system to the latest version without facing the issue.
Restart BITS Service
The next thing that you can do is BITS service. BITS stands for Background Intelligent Transfer Service. This is an essential service that can help with installing the update.
If this service stops working or crashes, then you may encounter this problem. You can restart the BITS service and see if the error gets fixed.
Follow the steps given below to restart the BITS service, and see if the error is fixed.
- Press the Windows + R key combo to open the run dialog box. In the run dialog box, enter services.msc and then press the enter key to open the services app.
- In the services, search for background intelligent transfer service. Double-click on it to open the properties of BITS.
- If the service is stopped, you will see the stop button greyed out, and you will be able to click on the start button. Click on the start button to start the service.
- After you have started the service, head to the recovery tab.
- Now set the first failure and second failure to restart the service. You can select restart the service from the drop-down list present right-beside the first failure and second failure.
- Once done, click on OK and then check for the updates again. You will not face the error now, and you will be able to update the Windows easily.
Disable Startup Services
Startup services and programs may also mess up with the Windows update, and you may not be able to download it.
If you are facing Windows 10 version 1903 error 0x80080008, then you can try disabling them. To disable startup services and startup programs, follow the steps given below-
- Press the Windows + R key combo, and enter msconfig in the Run dialog box. Now press enter to open system configuration.
- Head to the services tab in the system configuration.
- Here check the hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click on disable all.
- Once done, click on Apply.
- Now head to the startup tab in the system configuration, and click on Open Task Manager. You will be headed to the startup tab in the task manager.
- Here you will see all the startup programs. Right-click on the program, and click on disable. You will have to do this individually for all the programs.
- Once done, restart your PC, and try updating Windows again.
Perform An In-Place Upgrade
You can try performing an in-place upgrade which will force Windows 10 to install the latest update. If you do this your program files and application will be untouched while the update will be installed.
- To perform an in-place upgrade, firstly you will have to download the Media Creation Tool.
- Run the media creation tool, and select the upgrade this PC now.
- The tool will start downloading the update, and it will upgrade your PC. Follow the on screen-instructions to update your PC.
- When asked for changing what to keep, select keep personal files and apps and then click on next.
- Once done, Windows will start updating and your Windows will be updated and you will not encounter the error.
No files will be deleted or damaged during this process, however, it is recommended to take a backup and create a restore point to prevent any data loss.
These were some fixes to fix Windows 10 version 1903 error 0x80080008.
Follow the steps mentioned in this article to fix the error code you face while you updating Windows.
This article will help you troubleshoot the error.