Microsoft Office is a suite of software that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, OneDrive, and various others. These tools/applications can be used for various purposes be it professional or for students.
While using the online version of Microsoft Excel, many users have reported facing ‘retrieving data, wait for a few seconds and try to cut or copy again’ error. This issue most probably occurs on the online version of Excel.
You are most likely to encounter this error when you try to copy from the online version of Excel to the desktop version. Users have been struggling with this issue for quite a long time now, and no fix has been released for this bug by Microsoft as of now.
However, that doesn’t mean that you cannot solve this error. There are few troubleshooting methods that you can follow to fix this issue. In this article, we will be discussing how you can fix the ‘retrieving data, wait for a few seconds and try to cut or copy again’ error.
Fixing ‘Retrieving Data, Wait For A Few Seconds And Try To Cut Or Copy Again’ Error
Follow the steps given to fix the ‘retrieving data, wait a few seconds and try to cut or copy again’ error-
Deselect The Text And Copy And Paste It Again
If you face this issue then you can try deselecting the text and then copy and paste the text again. This fix is a temporary fix for the issue that you face.
When you face the ‘retrieving data, wait for a few seconds and try to cut or copy again’ error, deselect the data that you were trying to copy.
After deselecting the data, select it again after a few seconds and copy/cut it again and then paste it.
Following this fix, you will not face the error.
However, this is a temporary fix to the error, and you can again face the error. If you again face the error, then you should try the permanent fixes which we will be mentioning ahead in the article.
Download The Offline Version Of The File
As we have discussed, this issue is faced when trying to copy/cut data on the online version of Excel.
Therefore, the fix to this issue can be downloading the offline version of the file and running it on the Desktop version.
To download the offline version of the file, and run it on the desktop version, follow the steps given below-
- Head to the Excel web platform on your browser.
- Now click on the File option.
- Here click on Download as option, and then select Microsoft Excel. The offline version of the file will be download. Ensure you have installed the Desktop version of Excel on your PC.
- Open the file with Excel.
When you open the offline version of the file with the Desktop Version of the Excel, you will no longer face the ‘retrieving data, wait a few seconds and try to cut or copy again’ error whenever you try to copy or cut data on the Excel.
Also Read: Best Laptops for Outdoor Use in 2021
Update The Browser
If you want to use the online version of the Excel file, then you can try updating the browser. Many times the issue may occur if the browser is outdated.
If you face this error, then you may try updating the browser first.
Head to the official website of the browser you use. Download the latest version of the browser, and install it on your PC.
After you installed the latest update for your browser, try running the Excel again, and check if you still face the error or not.
However, if you still face the error, then simply head to the next troubleshooting method.
Clear The Cache Of The Browser
If you are still facing the problem then clearing the cache of the browser is what you should try next. Cache or the temporary files get stored on your PC.
This is to enhance the in-app experience of the app you use. However, it is essential to clear the cache after some time.
If you don’t clear the cache of the browser for too long, then it may get corrupt and may cause a problem.
If you don’t clear the cache of the browser for too long, then this can be because of corrupted cached data accumulated on your PC.
You can clear the cache of the browser, by following the steps given below-
- Open the menu of your browser by click on the menu icon from the top right corner of the browser window. This icon will generally be three ellipses or the hamburger. Click on it to open the menu.
- Click on history and then click on the view all history/ open history page option.
- Here click on clear browsing data.
- Here select two options- cookies and other site data and cached images and files.
- Select all time as the time range. Click on clear now to clear the cached data.
- Once you have cleared the cache, restart your browser, and open the Excel web platform again.
After doing so, you should not face the error again.
Reinstall The Browser
If you still face the error, then the last solution will be to reinstall the browser. To reinstall the browser, follow the steps given below-
- Head to the control panel.
- In the control panel, search for the uninstall a program option and select it.
- Now uninstall the browser you were using.
- Download the browser setup from the official website, and install it on your PC.
- Set up the browser, and then access the Excel Web-Platform again.
Check if you still get the error or not. Most probably you should not face the error now. If you don’t want to reinstall the browser, then you can change the browser you use.
Use any other browser, and the ‘retrieving data, wait for a few seconds and try to cut or copy again’ error will be solved by now.
That’s how you can fix the ‘retrieving data, wait for a few seconds and try to cut or copy again’ error.
Following the above steps, you will be able to solve the error you were facing.
We hope this article helps you solve the issue.