Steam is a platform from where users can buy PC games. With Steam, you can buy the game and download it on your PC.
This saves you from going to the store and buying the physical copy of the game. Steam is one of the most popular platforms online for buying PC games.
However, users have reported facing errors sometimes when buying using steam.
Steam is quite a stable platform that is less prone to errors, but that doesn’t mean that you will not encounter even a single error.
One such error that users have reported facing is Steam Error Code -118. This is a common error that users might encounter while using Steam.
If you are also facing this error, then you need not worry about it. In this article, we will be discussing some troubleshooting methods to help you fix the Steam Error Code -118.
Why You May Encounter Steam Error Code -118?
Before moving ahead with the troubleshooting methods, we need to know what are the reasons for this error to occur.
Knowing the reasons will make it easier for one to troubleshoot this error. Given below are some reasons as to why you may encounter the Steam Error Code -118.
- The firewall on your PC may be blocking the Steam. If you are using any antivirus program, then it will have a firewall turned on by default.
- A slow internet connection might be another reason that might be causing the Steam error code -118.
- Some third-party applications may as well interfere with the Steam thus causing the Steam Error Code -118.
- Virus infection can also cause a problem with Steam and cause the Steam Error Code -118.
Fixing Steam Error Code -118
Given below are some troubleshooting methods that you can try, to fix Steam Error Code -118.
Check With The Slow Internet Connection
The very first thing that you should try doing is checking the internet connection, and ensure the speed is not slow.
Slow internet is one of the most common causes of the Steam Error Code -118. You can use fast.com to check the speed of the internet.
If the speed is slow then you should try bringing the router close to your PC and then check if it increases the speed or not.
You can either try connecting your PC and your router with the Ethernet cable and then check whether you still get face a slow speed.
You can even try restarting the router. If the speed is slow, then restarting the router would be the best solution.
Restarting the router will refresh it, and you will no longer face the slow speed issue. To restart your router, all you have to do is unplug the router.
Wait for some time before you plug the router to the power supply again. Now connect the router to the power supply again. Connect your PC to Wifi, and use Steam.
If this didn’t solve the slow speed problem, then you should try contacting your ISP and then get the issue resolved.
However, if the speed of the internet is optimum, but you still get the error, then you should move ahead to the next step mentioned in this article.
Firewall Is Blocking The Application
The firewall on your system may be blocking the application. If you are using any antivirus software on your PC then its firewall might interfere with your system.
You can temporarily block the firewall of your antivirus and then run Steam. You may now not face the issue.
If you are not using any antivirus, then Windows Defender Firewall may be blocking Steam.
You can temporarily disable the Windows Defender Firewall, or give permission to Steam.
To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Open the start menu, and search for Windows Defender Firewall, and open it.
- On the left sidebar in the Windows Defender Firewall, click on allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- On the next window, click on change settings.
- Now scroll down to find Steam.
- Check both the boxes of public and private for the Steam.
- Once done, click on OK and you may no longer face the issue.
Disable Third-Party Applications
Another thing that might cause the Steam Error Code -118 is the third-party applications on your PC.
You can try disabling third-party applications running on your PC, and then check whether you still face the error or not.
To disable third-party applications, follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows + R key combo on your keyboard. This will open the run dialog box.
- In the run dialog box type the msconfig and hit enter on your keyboard.
- On the next window that pops up, head to the services tab.
- At the bottom, you will find hide all Microsoft services check box. Check it.
- Once done, click on disable all. This will disable any services from the third-party services running on your PC, apart from the Microsoft Services.
- Once you have disabled all the services, you will see the open task manager option.
- Click on it to open task manager on your PC.
- You will automatically be headed to the startup tab of the task manager.
- Here you will have to disable all the third-party apps at startup.
- Select each application individually, and then click on disable the option to disable the application at startup.
- Do this for all the apps individually.
- Once, done, close the task manager window, and reboot your PC.
After you have rebooted your PC, you will not face this issue anymore.
Scan For Virus
You may encounter this error because of a virus infection on your PC. If that’s the issue, then you may solve your PC with antivirus software.
In most cases, Windows Defender should do the job. Windows Defender is the default antivirus program by Microsoft which comes with Windows.
However, if you use any third-party antivirus program, then you should run it and run the virus scan.
Antivirus will do the job for you. Once the scan is completed, you should try running the steam again. This should most probably fix the issue you were facing.
These were some troubleshooting methods that you can try going for if you face Steam Error Code -118.
We hope this article helped solve the issue you were facing. If this article did help you then do let us know in the comment section.