If you are using old school method of watching movies or videos through a DVD player then you need to have a DVD of that particular movie that you are going to watch.
You can either buy the DVD or burn a DVD from your PC which you can use on your DVD player to watch the movie on your DVD. You will have to burn your DVD and finalize it to be able to play it on your DVD player.
Be it any media, if you want it to be played on other systems, then you will have to finalize the disc you are writing it on.
If you do not know how to finalize a DVD on Windows 10, then this article will help you with that. In this article, we will be discussing how you can finalize a DVD on Windows 10.
Importance Of Finalizing A DVD
If you don’t finalize the DVD that you are writing the data on, then you will not be able to play the media on it on a regular DVD player.
You might get some error when trying to play unauthorized media through the DVD player. However, if you have finalized the DVD, then you will not encounter an error while playing the disc.
Finalizing also means closing the disk. With this process, you can write media on your disc so that it can be played on other systems as well.
Finalizing a DVD means that you will not be able to write any more data on that. This is essential when you want no changes to be done to your media, and want it to be played on other systems apart from your Windows PC.
Finalizing A DVD On Windows 10
Now that you know why finalizing a DVD on Windows 10 is important, let’s discuss how you can finalize a DVD on Windows 10. Given below are the steps to help you finalize a DVD on Windows 10.
- Open the File Explorer on your PC.
- In File Explorer, select your DVD drive.
- Now click on the close session option that you will find on the toolbar. This will close the session and finalize the disc so that it be used on other devices as well.
That’s how you can finalize a DVD through native methods on Windows 10. However, if you are using third-party software for burning the contents to DVD or CD, then this will give you the option to finalize. You will have to burn your DVD first.
Once you have burned your DVD, you will see the ‘Finalize,’ ‘close,’ or ‘done’ button. If any of these options appear after you have burned your DVD, click on it. This will ensure that your disc has been finalized.
That’s the method of finalizing the DVD manually. Many software does have automatic DVD burning, so you need not follow the above steps. If you use any such third-party DVD or CD burner, then finalizing a DVD will be much easier for you.
Ensure That The DVD Is Finalized
Following the above steps, you will be able to finalize a DVD in Windows 10. After following the above steps, you will also have to ensure that you can finalize a DVD.
Two methods are using which you can tell whether a DVD is finalized or not. Given below are those methods-
- You can use File Explorer to check whether your DVD has been finalized or not. To use File Explorer to check whether the DVD is finalized or not, follow the steps given below-
- Head to the File Explorer on your PC.
- Here check the properties of your disc. Check whether the free space on the disc is 0KB or not.
- If the free space on the disc is 0 KB then it has been finalized. However, if the free space is greater than that, then it has not been finalized successfully.
- You can either use third-party applications like InfraRecorder to check whether your DVD has been finalized or not.
- You can download this tool on your PC, and run it. This will tell you the status of your disc including disc type, used space, free space, and such.
- You can ensure whether your DVD has been finalized or not using such software.
We hope this article helped you understand what finalizing a DVD means, and how important it is to finalize a DVD to be able to play it on another system.
Following the steps mentioned in this article, you will be able to finalize a DVD on Windows 10 and use it on another system or DVD player.
You will also be able to check whether the disc has been successfully finalized by following the steps mentioned in this article.
It is recommended that you use third-party software to burn media to disc. You will find various such software online. These applications make it easier for one to burn and finalize a DVD.