If you are using a laptop, then you would probably be using the touchpad and keyboard for navigating through the laptop or playing games on it.
However, you may encounter the problem like touchpad and keyboard not working at the same time on Windows laptop. This issue has been reported by the users on Windows 10.
This issue is not specific to manufacturers, but users with HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Asus laptops have reported facing this problem majorly.
This issue can be annoying when doing stuff like playing games on your laptop. If you are facing this issue, then there is nothing to worry about that.
In this article, we will be discussing how you can use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time on Windows 10. We will also be discussing the cause of this issue.
Why You May Encounter This Issue?
There are various reasons as to why you may encounter this issue. Given below are some reasons for you to encounter keyboard and touchpad not working at the same time issue-
- If PalmCheck is enabled then you may face this issue. PalmCheck disables the touchpad while you are typing on the keyboard, therefore, you may face this issue as well.
- Corrupted Synaptics driver may also cause this issue. The only fix for this will be to reinstall the Synaptics driver.
- Another reason for you to encounter this error is misconfigured Synaptics user settings.
- If the DisableWhenType_Enable registry value is enabled then also you may encounter this issue. This disables the touchpad when you are typing on the keyboard.
Using Keyboard And Touchpad At The Same Time On Windows 10
If you have been tired of searching for ways to use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time on Windows 10, then you are at the right place. Given below are some fixes for the keyboard and touchpad not working together on Windows 11.
To use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time on Windows 10, you should try disabling PalmCheck first. To disable PalmCheck, follow the steps given below-
- Open the settings on your PC by pressing the Windows + I key combo.
- In the settings, head to the devices section.
- Here click on the touchpad from the left sidebar.
- Click on the additional settings option under the relation settings in the touchpad section.
- This will open up the mouse properties window. Head to the device settings tab in mouse properties.
- Click on the PalmCheck option. This will open PalmCheck settings. Ensure it is disabled, or if there is a slider, slide it to the off. Once done, click on apply.
- Now restart your PC, and you will be able to use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time on Windows 10.
Disable Palm Detect
If Palm Check is not available on your PC, then you should try disabling Palm Detect via registry editor. To turn this feature off, follow the steps given below-
- Open the start menu by pressing the start icon.
- In the start menu, search for Registry Editor and open it.
- In the Registry Editor, head to the following location-
- In the TouchPad folder, double-click on PalmDetectConfig.
- Change its value to 0, and click on OK.
- Now close the Registry Editor, and restart your PC.
You should now be able to use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time in Windows 10.
Disabling DisableWhenType_Enable Value In Registry Editor
DisableWhenType_Enable is a registry key value that may also cause this error. If you are facing this issue, then you may try disabling this key value, and then check if you still face this issue or not.
- In the start menu, search for registry editor and open it on your PC.
- Head to the following address in the registry editor-
- Here, double-click on the DisableWhenType_Enable key value.
- Set the value to 1 and click on OK.
- Once done, restart your PC, and check if you can use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time or not.
Uninstall The Synaptics Driver
If you are facing this issue, and you are unable to use your keyboard and touchpad at the same time in Windows 11, then you should prefer reinstalling the Synaptics driver on your PC.
However, this method will only work if you have the Synaptics driver on your PC instead of any other driver.
- Firstly, turn off the Wi-Fi on your PC. Click on the Wi-Fi icon on the taskbar, and then turn off the Wi-Fi Toggle.
- Open the start menu, and search for Control Panel and open it.
- In the Control Panel, search for Uninstall a program and open it.
- This will open a list of all the applications installed on your PC. Search for Synaptics driver, and select it.
- Now, right-click on the Synaptics driver, and click on Uninstall to uninstall it.
- Once the driver has been successfully reinstalled, restart your PC.
- Next, you will have to download the Synaptics driver from the latest website.
- Upon downloading the Synaptics driver, install it on your PC like you install the regular programs.
- After you have installed the driver, restart your PC, and you will no longer face the issue.
Delete Synaptics User Settings
If you are still facing this issue and you are unable to use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time on Windows 10, then it would be recommended to delete Synaptics user settings.
You can create a registry delete Synaptics user settings. This file that you create will override the registry value related to Synaptics Driver.
This method only works if you have Synaptics touchpad drivers on your PC rather than any other driver. Follow the steps given below to create a reg file that deletes Synaptics user settings-
- In the start menu, search for notepad. Right-click on it, and click on run as administrator. This will give administrative privileges to the Notepad, and the application will be able to make changes to the system.
- In the notepad, type the code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Synaptics \ SynTP \ Install] "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade" = dword: 00000000
- Press Ctrl + S key combo to save the file. Ensure you change the extension of the file from .txt to .reg and then save it.
- Now you will have to run the file as an administrator. To do so, right-click on the file that you save, and then click on run as administrator. You will be given a confirmation prompt, click on yes.
- After doing so, restart your PC.
This will fix the issue for you and you will be able to use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time on Windows 10.
These were some fixes for the keyboard and touchpad not working at the same time on a Windows laptop. This can be problematic especially if you are playing games on your PC.
If you are also facing this issue, then there is nothing to worry about that. We have discussed above some fixes for this issue. Following the steps mentioned in this article, you will be able to use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time in Windows 10.