‘You don’t have permission to save in this location’ error is a common error that you can face when saving files in a location to which you don’t have permission.
Most probably this error occurs when you don’t have administrator rights. The full error message may read-
‘You don’t have the permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission.
Would you like to save it in the My Documents folder instead?’
You may get this error message which means that you don’t have admin rights. This error is easy to fix, and it won’t take much for you to fix it.
Don’t worry if you are not a computer geek, you can follow the steps given in this article. In this article, we will be discussing some troubleshooting methods that you can try, to fix the ‘you don’t have permission to save in this location’ error.
- 1 Fixing ‘You Don’t Have Permission To Save In This Location’ Error
- 2 Conclusion
Fixing ‘You Don’t Have Permission To Save In This Location’ Error
Given below are the steps to fix the ‘you don’t have permission to save in this location’ error-
Run The Program As Administrator
If you are trying to use an app that will make changes to the system, then you may get the ‘you don’t have permission to save in this location’ error.
This happens when you don’t give administrator privileges to the app while running it. You will have to run the program as an administrator if you face this issue. All you have to do is, right-click on the program, and then click on
Given Full Control To Admin On The Folder You Want To Save File To
As we have already discussed, you might encounter the ‘you don’t have permission to save in this location’ error when you try saving the file at a place not having admin rights.
However, you can give full control to the administrator on specific folders to which you are trying to save the file.
To give full control to admin on the folder, follow the steps given below-
- Right-click on the folder to which you want to save files, and then click on properties. Now click on the security tab in the properties, and then click on the edit button.
- Under the group or user names select the administrator account.
- Now below that ensure you have allowed the Full Control permission.
- Once done, click on OK.
Change The Owner Of The Involved Folder
You can change the owner of the folder to which you are trying to copy the file. You can change the owner of the involved folder by following the steps given below-
- Right-click on the folder that you want to copy the files to.
- Click on the properties option, and then head to the security tab.
- Now click on the advanced option.
- Here click on the change button next to the owner.
- Now in the space in the next window that pops up, type the object name. After entering the name, click on check names to check if that is available. If that is available, click on OK.
- Now check the replace owner on subcontainers and objects box. Once, done click on OK.
- After doing so you will have to give full control to the folder, which you can do by the above method.
Also Read: Best Laptops for Outdoor Use in 2021
Give Permission To The Current User
If you face the ‘you don’t have permission to save in this location’ error, then you can give admin permission to the current users. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press the Windows + R on your keyboard. This will open the run dialog box.
- In the run dialog box, enter netplwiz and click on OK.
- This will open the user accounts window. Here select the account that you are using on which you get the error. Select the account, and then click on properties.
- Head to the group membership tab in the properties windows, and select the administrator toggle.
- After doing so, click on apply, and then click on OK.
Once you are done, you will no longer face the ‘you don’t have permission to save in this location’ error.
Disable The User Account Control
If you have enabled user account control, then you will get a notification asking for administrator access whenever running the program.
However, you can disable it, and you will no longer get the administrator access notification. If you want to disable user account control, then you can follow the steps given below-
- Click on the start icon to open the start menu.
- In the start menu, search for change user account control settings, and open it.
- You will see a toggle that you will have to drag to turn it off.
- Drag the toggle to never notify. By doing so, you will not be notified when you install software, make some changes to your PC, or do some changes to the settings.
Save The File To A Different Location
If any of the above methods didn’t help you solve the error, and if you are still getting the ‘you don’t have permission to save in this location’ error, then you can try saving the file to a different location.
Maybe you are unable to save the file to that particular location, so if you try saving it to a different location, it will be possible.
These were some troubleshooting methods for the ‘you don’t have permission to save in this location’ error. If you face this error, then you can try the troubleshooting methods mentioned in this article. This will help you solve the problem you were facing.